BRIEF GUIDE TO PLANNING
The local planning authority Bedford Borough Planning Department notifies all planning applications that affect the Parish Council for their consideration and comment.
Colmworth Parish Council , as a statutory consultee of Bedford Borough Council (BBC), is then asked to comment on all planning applications within the Parish.
The Parish Council is consulted for its local knowledge but does not determine a Planning Application.
This is the role of the planning committee at BBC made up of Councillors or sometimes by the planning officers using delegated powers. Their decisions are based upon Planning Policies set out in the Local Plan, Planning Policy Statements (PPS) and Government Guidance.
Bedford Borough Council must take into account, but not necessarily follow, the views or recommendations of the Parish Council.
The Parish Council's comments upon individual planning applications considered at meetings are normally included in their minutes which are available by clicking here.
The Parish Council has the right (separate from supporters & objectors) to speak at the planning meetings if they feel strongly enough about a particular development.
Colmworth Parish Council have a policy for viewing and commenting on planning applications which can be viewed here CPC Policy for viewing planning applications.
How do I view the plans?
Details of planning applications affecting a property are posted up in public by the planning authority close to that property.
Full details of planning applications also appear on Bedford Borough Council web site, and you can also make comments on applications through this site.
- Either online through the BBC planning website here
Once there click on TO VIEW AND COMMENT ON PLANNING APPLICATIONS
Enter the Application No in the Application Reference box and Enter or scroll to the bottom and click Search.
The first page will come up. Click on the Documents tab and then View Associated Documents link. I recommend starting with the contents list.
- At local libraries or BBC local offices
- Colmworth Parish Website links to the latest applications received here. You can also navigate to this page using the Planning Applications link top left of this page and then selecting the relevant year from the drop down menu at the top of the page.
- If you would like to view hard copies these are held by the Parish Clerk. Please contact Lucy Crawford on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01480 471 526
What do I do if I have an interest or want to object to a Planning Application?
First you must view the plans and supporting documentation.
If you wish to object you must write to, or email CBC and send a copy to the Parish Clerk so that we are aware of your views.
BBC have provided some guidance on commenting on applications here .
Updated versions may also be on the BBC website.
If you need help contact Bedford Borough Council who can advise you of relevant procedures.
Unless you have valid planning reasons, your letter will be wasted.
Listed below are reasons for objecting to a particular application:
- Highways – access/roads unsuitable for the development (where access is a relevant consideration).
- Loss of light – dependent on the size/siting of the development to a neighbouring property’s principal windows (can they be directly looked into?)
- Design/size/scale/materials of proposal in relation to the existing property, neighbouring properties and general location.
- Effect on/loss of protected trees or listed buildings
- Setting listed buildings on Conservation Area.
- Noise, fumes, smell or loss of privacy.
- Risk of flooding as a result of the proposal.
- Loss of a valuable facility if dealt with in the local plan.
Things which are not normally planning considerations include:
- Loss of view/aspect.
- Personal matters relating to the specific applicant.
- Changes to land/property values.
- Personal taste with respect to the proposal.
The examples listed above are definitive but not comprehensive and are a guide to assist in the preparation of letters or statements of support or opposition.
The following website has more information and guidance on planning applications CPRE
You may also make comment to the Parish Council at the appropriate meeting, but the Council is not obliged to pass on any such comments to the planning authority.
The Parish Clerk will be able to tell you when a particular application is due to come before the Parish Council.
Contact details for Colmworth Parish Council Clerk are available here.
The above information is provided as a guide and subject to change without bias or intent.