Parish Church of St Denys
(formerly listed as Parish Church of Saint Dennis)
Parish church. Circa 1430, window tracery reworked C19. Chancel of
cobblestones, coursed freestone rubble elsewhere, all with ashlar dressinqs.
Chancel, N vestry, nave, S porch, W tower, all with embattled parapets.
Chancel: depressed 2-centred arched 5-light E window, flanked by buttresses.
One window to N wall, 2 to S wall, all pointed arched with 3-lights. N
doorway has 4-centred head and label. Priest's door to S wall. N vestry: 2-
light E window. 2 squints blocked by Dyer monument. Tall narrow chancel
arch. Nave: 3 windows each side, similar to chancel ones. Rood loft
staircase to NE with 3 doorways. Squint S of chancel arch. N doorway. Tower
arch similar to chancel one. S porch: intended to be vaulted, has 2
springers. W tower: 4 stages, diagonal buttresses, octagonal spire with
lucarnes. Cornice below parapet has shield to each side. W window similar to
those elsewhere. Interior: C15 octagonal font with shields and flowers.
Chancel has finely worked large alabaster figured monument, 1641, to Sir
William Dyer and family. Purbeck slab with inscribed copper plate, 1389 to
Alianora Braybrook in chancel S wall. Fraqments of C15 glass, including whole
angel, to chancel N window. Other qlass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, London
1893. Roofs restored, but nave retains C15 foliate bosses, carved braces and
figures, and angels in centre of each bay holding shields and emblems of the